Thursday, March 22, 2012

Tomatoes, Peppers, and Stress

I will start with the tomato and peppers so I can end with the stress. Over the last two days I have potted up all of my tomatoes and peppers. They had outgrown their six packs and roots were taking over their trays. I did not think about how much space they would take up when I moved them into their own cups.  I made sure to leave room with the smaller tomato plants to add more potting mix as they get bigger. Every plant was planted at the same level in the cups. It surprises me how fast some of the plants are growing and others just seem to take their time. After trying to fit them all under the same lights, I decided I needed to run down to the hardware store and buy another light. Then I took over a shelf in my Dear Hubby's garage and moved some of the plants over. I have basically taken over all of the garage and part of the living room. He hasn't really said anything about the plants and lights but I know it is coming.

My Tomatoes and Peppers in their colorful cups.
The stress just keeps building. We found out this week that my Mother in Law has bone cancer. Her doctors believe she has another cancer somewhere in her body but they have not been able to find it. My Mother in Law and I do not get along and have spent the last 14 years fighting. The last few years have been better and we can actually talk to each other without yelling. David is an only child and he is her life. She is going to need him. I know our lives are going to change drastically and it scares me. We just made it through David's injury's from Afghanistan, his brian injury, his stomach cancer scare, and his PTSD. The last two years almost destroyed us. Now, this year we have another deployment, several TDY's, and now cancer. How much more can we take?

3 comments:

  1. You have my sympathy for dealing with someone with cancer. I lost my mom to that and my husband lost his mom to bone cancer - neither one of us can hear that word without shuddering. You and your hubby in my thoughts. Maybe you can find him something fun to do in the garden too so he can channel that negative energy into positive - or find a local animal shelter to volunteer as it can be very theraputic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cyber hugs going out to you and your family. As one who has beat cancer twice, I know how stressful it can be for everyone involved. Keep gardening, it's a great stress reliever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry that you have had so much to deal with the past few years. You will make it through this just like everything else, though it will be quite difficult. I think trying to share some of your gardening with your mil sounds like a good start.

    ReplyDelete