Friday, August 24, 2012

Tomato Worm


I have only had one tomato worm this year. I guess you need to have healthy tomatoes to have tomato worms! When I saw the damage to my plants, I asked Dallas to help me find the 'little monster'. It only took him a few minutes to find it and then came the question I hear every year.

"Can I keep it?"
Photo retrieved on Aug. 24, 2012 from Wikipedia.
 I now know how my Mom felt so many times. I should have him kill the thing but how can I say no to him. Out came our 'bug jar' and in went the worm and a few branches from my tomato plant. Dallas took care of it and tried to feed it fresh leaves every day. My poor plants started to look a little thin. Then the day before our Anniversary trip, Dallas' worm went into its chrysalis. He took it with him to Granny's just in case it came out.

Last night, while cleaning up the kitchen, I heard something strange. The moth had finally emerged. It would do this at 10 pm on a school night. I woke Dallas up and we went outside to see what his little pet had turned into.
Dallas carefully opening the top.

Our 'little' moth.

Dallas playing with it. I think he was as surprised as I was with the size of this moth.



 
The silly little thing stayed around. It was on our fence today. Dallas just had to play with it one more time. I know I will probably see its offspring in my garden in a week or two but it is totally worth it.

5 comments:

  1. It's offsprings can decimate your tomato plants in matter of days :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know...It is so sad. The things we do for our kids! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is incredible! No bugs that we "kept" as kids ever survived like that! Way to go! I hope your garden didn't suffer huge consequences from it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our tomatoes were already suffering last year! We lost all of our plants and only had 2 tomatoes for some unknown reason. His moth moved on and found someone else's garden. :)

      Delete
    2. That's too bad! (that you only got two tomatoes, not that the moth moved on!) Tomatoes are my favorite thing from the garden!

      Delete