Sunday, June 3, 2012

Peaches and Apricots

The peaches and apricots were finally ready at my in-laws. They are small this year but are worth the work. They are the perfect balance of tart and sweet. I need to spend some time working on the trees. I do not know if they have ever been trimmed or fertilized. The only water they get is rain, and West Texas hasn't had regular rain in a long time. We had to build braces for many of the limbs - The weight of the fruit was just too much. I am afraid that many of the branches may not recover.

I have spent the last week canning everything we picked. I ended up with 28 pints of apricots, 16 quarts of peaches, 8 pints of peaches, and one large cobbler.  

Apricots

Peaches

Peaches


Apricots

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful! what a wonderul way to preserve all this great fruit for winter and it's free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is free but why didn't my Mom tell me how much work canning peaches could be! :)

      Delete
  2. This is fabulous, Christy! I love to see others preserving their crops. I'm adding your blog to my blog list today.

    ReplyDelete