Monday, April 9, 2012

9 April 2012

I feel like I have been run over by a truck. OK...Maybe it isn't that bad, but I do hurt all over. Yesterday David left for his TDY. He will be gone until the end of the month or maybe until next month. I really don't mind him going, but right now was not the best time. We have too many projects to do and I am only one person.

Since I am Me, I started on the To Do list today. Why put it off? I was outside at 9:30 this morning and I finally called it a day at 5:30. I am so tired. I did get to mark a lot off of the list and that makes me really happy.

I started out the day planting a few more flowers in the front flower bed. I still need a lot more plants but it is starting to look better. I transplanted an Amarillo from my Mom's house, along with a few more Mexican Petunias. Then I repotted an Air Plane plant to sit on top of my antique milk canister. I tried for almost 20 minutes to get the lid off so I could slide a terracotta pot down inside it. It would look better. But for some reason I have the only one that will not open. So I pulled out the bailing wire and attached a small pot to the top. Now I will plant a few small flowers to help hide the black pot. Not exactly what I wanted but it will have to do. 
Dallas finally decided to plant his flower pot. He chose his favorite flowers - Marigolds and Dusty Miller. He loves them. This year I was able to slip an extra Basil Plant into the mix. I don't really know if he noticed it or not. Hopefully he will let it stay.

 After reorganizing all of my seedlings I started working on the back yard. The first thing I did was rebuild the huge bed by the house. I wanted the bed 3 feet wide but my Hubby decided to build it 6 feet wide. It was just too big to do anything with. Since he is gone, I cut it down to size. I can now reach the back of the bed without climbing into it. Then I started adding compost and planting my little seedlings. This bed has sweet basil, celery, parsley, cilantro, mustard greens,  and a few leaf lettuces. I plan on trying to plant carrots again in the front of this bed. My first attempt did not work. The wind destroyed everything.

Sweet Basil

Cilantro

Leaf Lettuce

Mustard Greens
 Then I started cleaning up the larger half of the bed. I will cut this bed down to size after I harvest my Onions. I have a few lettuces in the bed but it has almost 500 onions. We eat a lot of onions.
More Leaf Lettuce

The first lettuce I planted this year.


 Next I moved to the bed West of our Peach Tree. I had already dug in the compost. I just leveled the bed and planted my Broccoli, Cabbage, and Spinach. I hope the spinach does better being sown outside than it did under the grow lights. It is planted in the middle of the bed. I am hoping it will be ready to pick before the broccoli and cabbage need the space.

Cabbage

Broccoli
I have decided I will never by a new house again. The back yard is going to kill me. After everything I had already done, I decided to start leveling the yard. I really want to plant the grass seed soon. I was able to finish most of the yard, but I still need to spread out the compost and till the yard. Then level everything again. And finally plant. I don't think I will ever get finished!


I think tomorrow I will clean the house and maybe read a book. I have my doubts though. The weather is to nice to stay indoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment