Monday, April 30, 2012

Harvest Monday - 30 April 2012

I am participating in my first Harvest Monday! Over the last two years I have watched every one's posts just waiting for the day I could add a harvest. The day has finally come. I have a harvest.

I was able to harvest my lettuces twice this week. I do not have a scale, but both times I filled up one of my large kitchen bowls. I don't know how long I will have lettuce since our summers are usually in the upper 90's and low 100's. I am working on a shade structure for their bed. I just hope it keeps the plants and ground cool enough. I would like to be able to grow lettuce all summer.

Harvest #1 - A large bowl of mixed lettuce. It was a wonderful salad!

Harvest #2 - I almost forgot to get a picture of this bunch. Oops!  


Harvest Monday is a day to show off your harvests, how you are saving your harvest, or how you are using your harvest. If you have a harvest you want to show off, visit Daphne's Dandelions and join in!

9 comments:

  1. Congrats on your first Harvest Monday. Hopefully you will have lots to come. I've yet to master the summertime lettuce. But them I'm not a huge lettuce eater, so I'm usually sick of it by the time they all start to bolt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't wait until I can pick something else, but for now the lettuce is wonderful.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the first harvest! lovely greens and I'm sure they were delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo! First harvest are always exciting.

    It amazes me at our farmer's markets... people always complaining about the lack of lettuce in June and July. I think only gardeners realize how tricky it is to get it to grow when the temperatures are so high!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I can keep lettuce going most of the summer but I am sure it will stop soon. It always does!

      Delete
  4. congrats on your first Harvest Monday. Your lettuce is beautiful. I have hot dry summers and I"m working on ways to have lettuce later into the summer. I'm trying 1)varieties marked that they can take some heat without bolting 2) planting a new patch at least every couple weeks and soon that might need to become every few days 3) in the coolest, shady spots I can find 4) keeping them well watered. We shall see how this goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we have almost the same plan! I am building a shade structure for the lettuce bed and plan on watering that bed three times a day. I don't know if it will work but I am trying!

      Delete
  5. Congrats on the first harvest! beautiful greens!

    ReplyDelete