Sunday, April 15, 2012

Wind, Wind, and More Wind

Yesterday we had wind gusts over 55 mph along with our sustained wind at about 35 mph. Our wind will continue for another day so we are stuck in the house.

Since my garden is off limits, I thought I would show my new favorite house plants - Phalaenopsis Orchids. My dear hubby bought me two beautiful orchids for valentines day. They were flowering and so pretty. I went into panic mode. I just knew something so beautiful would be hard to care for in our dry New Mexico environment. I started reading about how to care for orchids and found out they are really not that hard. They need to be on a schedule for watering and fertilizing. Their lighting needs are really simple and my south facing kitchen window is perfect for them. My first two orchids are still flowering and just started putting on a new leaf. Two weeks ago I bought another orchid. I am hooked!









12 comments:

  1. I hear you about the wind. Like that here too yesterday and some storms. The orchids are lovely. I haven't tried orchids yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be better if the wind would bring in some rain. But nope. We are dry and windy.

      Delete
  2. very lovely orchids! i have several at home and they always start blooming at the end of winter which makes it just a bit easier to get through :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have really enjoyed the flowers this spring. I can't wait to see them start to bloom next year!

      Delete
  3. I too have orchids and acquired them the same way you did. When the Hubs brought them home, I thought "really? aren't these things super finicky?" I read up on them though, and now I am totally addicted. I just got a super cool lime green hot pink one. It's something something kitty face. So technical I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my little orchids! I have to really watch myself though - I only have room for a few and could easily buy too many!

      Delete
  4. My kids brought one of these home for Mother's day several years ago. They got it from a guy selling them by the side of the road. I water it when I remember and have never fed it. It blooms every year without fail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me feel better! I am always so worried about missing a watering day that I have a reminder on my computer! lol

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful orchids! I love purple one!
    I too have orchids, right now 5 of them are blooming and I have read one trick - they like to have showers! Right in a shower cabin, first cold water, than warm, like tropical rain, sometimes I use very hot water. And leave them to soak water for some hours. It makes them grow and bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an interesting tip. I will have to remember it. I have another orchid but it only has one little flower and a lot of buds. It is a pretty pale purple flower. It is so strange how their flowers seem to brighten up my day during our unusual spring.

      Delete
  6. Your flowers are beautiful. Orchids are so hard to keep alive! Nice job. Yesterday was windy here too, but nothing near those speeds. I bet you had to tie a few things down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have high winds all the time and try to keep everything wind ready. It can be challeging though. This time I forgot to bring in a roll of twine and ended up with it wrapped around everything. It took almost an hour to gather it all up! :)

      Delete